A Photographic History Of Trinidad, California

Page Five - Whaling Days (1920-1926)


A view of Trinidad town and harbor in the mid-1920s. The whaling station can be seen at far left; dead whales floating in the harbor await processing. (Photo courtesy Trinidad Museum Society.)

The flensing and rendering plant of the California Sea Products Company. Built by Eureka's Mercer-Fraser Company, it opened in 1920, and closed only six years later. (Photo courtesy Trinidad Museum Society.)

Although no trace of the structure remains today, a wooden trestle was built at the foot of Galindo Street to bridge the gap between the mainland-side bluff and the northeast rim of Little Head. The rows of low buildings to the left of center were dormitories for the employees of the whaling station. (Photo courtesy of Anne Odom.)

The long, steep slip leading up to the plant, where the present pier and restaurant are located. Note how much higher on the bluff the plant sat compared to the structures on the same site today. (Photo courtesy Trinidad Museum Society.)

A small landing wharf was built abutting the slip. The rocks supporting the structure remain today on the west side of the present fishing pier.
(Photo courtesy Trinidad Museum Society.)

This 1928 photograph is one of the earliest-known images of the Trinidad salmon fleet.
(Photo courtesy of Anne Odom.)


Click here to continue...